Friday, July 30, 2010

we are all trancients here

... I have been living and working in Abu Dhabi UAE for almost five years now, but I have never felt more 'intergrated' into mainstream society as I did last Tuesday. No, I did not get to hobnob with Abu Dhabi's movers and shakers, nor have I been given the title 'honorary adopted sheikha' - if there ever is such a title...

... my 'integration' came in the form of two small surprises that brought about that feeling - maybe its just me being overly dramatic but it was truly how I felt, it certainly made my day!!!

... remember a few days ago I posted something about being a UAE water hero? well last tuesday the Watersaver people came a knocking and installed that one small gadget that will be a huge help in our water conseravtion pledge. I think the installers are somewhat surprised that I readily let them in (having known about the campaign and anticipation of their arrival) even moreso when I started taking pictures. I chatted with them a bit and learned that the watersaver are made and imported from Italy and nowhere in Abu Dhabi can it be bought. Wow I really salute the UAE goverment for going to great lengths to ensure the success of the campaign.

my first surprise came in the form of this tiny gadget



fitted to a T- tap that is!!!!


the second surprise came via phone call - I had just woken from my nap later the same day when I got a call from an unidentified number. The nice lady turned out to be the picture editor of Gulf News!!! she wanted some facts about a picture I took and submitted online, telling me to watch out for the photo in next weeks' feature!!! YAY!!! - more on this in the next blog!!!

... as you can see - these are not very huge things, but it made me feel the way I did because I felt that I had contributed a (tiny, tiny) part of myself to the UAE society.

No comments:

Post a Comment